Summer Camp Counselor
Definition: Under the general supervision of the Recreation Supervisor; is responsible for the direct supervision of a group of 8-12 children in a summer day camp program. He/She will plan and implement a variety of activities that are structured to provide quality recreational camp experiences for the children enrolled.
- Maintains a sincere interest in providing each child with a positive summer camp experience.
- Plans and initiates daily activities, both active and passive, I areas such as, nature, arts and crafts, sports, games, music/dance/drama and story time.
- Responsible for daily supervision of a group of children. The counselor must stay with the children the entire time they are attending camp, including mealtime. Care must be provided at the pick-up time to ensure only authorized people are allowed to take children from the campsite.
- Follows and adheres to all safety policies and procedures set forth by the Riverdale Park District.
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous and enthusiastic attitude with children, parents, and staff.
- Assist in keeping the camp site clean and orderly.
- Participates in all camp staff meetings and trainings.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instruction.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
- Ability to work well with others.
- Skills in planning and implementing activities to meet the summer camp program needs.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for group problem solving.
- Set a good example; and be a role model for all campers.
- Guide campers in participating successfully in all aspects of camp activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel and program participants of all ages and ethnic backgrounds.
- Submit all required reports.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
High School diploma or equivalent and a minimum of two years experience in the field of parks and recreation and/or two years experience involved in assisting the public. Able to maintain a current CPR/First Aid certificate.