Definition: Under the general supervision of the Recreation Coordinator; is responsible for the direct supervision of a group of 8-12 children in a summer day camp program. He / She will plan and implement a variety of activities that are structured to provide quality recreational camp experiences for the children enrolled.
• Maintains a sincere interest in providing each child with a positive summer camp experience.
• Plans and initiates daily activities, both active and passive, In areas such as, nature, arts and crafts, sports, games, enrichment and free time.
• Responsible for daily supervision of a group of children. The counselor must stay with the children the entire time they are attending camp, including mealtime. Care must be provided at the pick-up time to ensure only authorized people are allowed to take children from the campsite.
• Follows and adheres to all safety policies and procedures set forth by the Riverdale Park District.
• Demonstrates a positive, courteous and enthusiastic attitude with children, parents, and staff.
• Assist in keeping the camp site clean and orderly.
• Participates in all camp staff meetings and trainings.
• Ability to follow written and verbal instruction.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
• Ability to work well with others.
• Skills in planning and implementing activities to meet the summer camp program needs.
• Recognize and respond to opportunities for group problem solving.
• Set a good example; and be a role model for all campers.
• Guide campers in participating successfully in all aspects of camp activities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel
and program participants of all ages and ethnic backgrounds.
• Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.